Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fighting Flames

Hey my day was pretty boring. My parents still aren't home but they'll be home in about 2 hours. So that's good. Last night was o.k. I wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it was fun. I started on making another hat, and I'm giving it to my neighbor's daughter named Torie. She's so cute! I'm working on my story right now. It's called Fighting Flames. I think it's the best book I've ever written and it's the longest book I've ever written. So far, it is 43 pages long, and it's only 1/2 way done! I'm hoping I can get 100 pages written, but that's a little far fetched, right? Here's the first page:

Chapter One

I ran through the front room, passing everything that had once mattered in my life. But they don’t matter now. My heart raced. I tried to escape the deadly beast that was devouring the house with each burning touch. Through the kitchen I ran. I stumbled to my knees. I blindly looked at what I had tripped over. A body! It was hard to move, hard to breathe. I turned the body over, my hands trembling. My heart stopped. The face of my father was staring up at me. “NO!” I screamed. I was too late. I called his name over and over, knowing that it wouldn’t do anything. Nothing I did could bring him back to life. His face was soot black, with burns that no one would ever see. The beast drew in around me, licking me with its fiery tongue, mocking my fear. “You lost!” it cackled.

“Dad, wake up! You have to make it. Dad please . . . please.” I cried helplessly. It was no use. It was the end. The beast was rearing up, adding the fear and pain with each second. It pounced. I hugged my dad for the last time then . . .

“Matt . . . MATTHEW PETERSON!”

Matt raised his head from the desk. He gave a sigh of relief.
“It was only a dream,” he whispered. The other students were staring at him. Some looked worried, some amused. The bell rang for the end of class. His head was wet with sweat and his clothes clung to his skin.
“Matt,” the teacher said, “this is the second time this week that you’ve fallen asleep in class. One more time and I’ll call your father telling him you need more sleep!”
“Whatever,” he said calmly. The truth was, he got plenty of sleep at night. He tried to make it in bed by 9:30 and he woke up every day at 6:50. He didn’t exactly know what his deal was.

Like it? I'm doing a photo-shoot for my cover. Is 4 people too much for a front cover? I still have yet to ask 2 people to do it and they're the boys. :) Well, if you like it, post a comment!!

No comments: